Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Day has always been a big deal in my family. We always go to the Heyburn cemetery and put flowers on the graves. I think in my whole life I have only missed doing this two times-once because I was in the hospital and had just had surgery, and once because we were on vacation visiting my brother Kelby in Cleveland. This year there was a pretty good group of us so it was pretty fun. 

 This is my Grandma and Grandpa Hellewell's grave (my mom's parents). They died 5 week apart when I was in 9th grade. We also put flowers on my mom's 3 sisters graves who have passed away, and on my Uncle Kelly's grave. My mom's grandparents and several aunts and uncles are also buried here.

 I don't know why but we always take a picture by the statue of Jesus.
 We went to the cemetery Sunday night and had dinner at my Aunt Lora's and Uncle Blaines. After the cemetery I talked my mom into driving past my grandma and grandpa's old house, the house my mom grew up in and the house that I spent almost every Sunday night of my childhood at. I have so many memories there playing on the farm with my cousins, helping my grandpa milk the cows, watching Shirley Temple movies with my grandma, playing on top of the chicken coops, on the haystacks, tractors, and in the treehouse, and playing Eenie-Inie-Over. :)...I was telling Chris how I even just loved the smell of walking into their house. It smelled like cows and dirt, but I loved it. Anyway, it looks a lot different now than I remember it, but it was fun to drive by anyway.
Monday (Memorial Day) we went out to Lake Walcott (Minidoka Dam) and had lunch and played. We played on the playground...
 And played frisbee golf...ok just Luke did. :)
 We sat and relaxed...
 We played some ladder ball (I won). :)
 We had tinfoil dinners, hotdogs, and chicken.


 We played Ultimate Frisbee...well everyone else did. I just took pictures because I am not actually capable of running at the moment.
 And more relaxing.

 I was so proud that I was strong enough to pick up Halli by myself, but then she refused to smile for the camera...a first for her. I thought this picture was funny.
All in all it was a great day. The weather decided to cooperate with us on Monday and we had a fun time with family. We went home tired, full, and happy!!

No comments: