Thursday, June 14, 2012

Doing Good!

Well I just wanted to post an update on how I am doing. I am doing really well! I have actually been able to have time to recover, and have not been back in the hospital (knock on wood). Before it seemed like every time I went home and thought I was starting to get better, I'd get sick again. Luckily that has not happened. I forgot to mention in a previous post that I got the feeding tube removed the beginning of May (I think around May 9). I had an appointment with the surgeon and he asked if I wanted it out, and of course I said YES! It was really sore and just in the way, and I just really did not like it. He said if Dr. Smith said it was ok, then he would remove it. So I called Dr. Smith and he had me get some labs done. He called me that night and said that they looked pretty good. My pre-albumin and albumin were back to normal (those were what the surgeon was concerned about). Pre-albumin is a lab that we use a lot to assess someone's nutritional status. We (dietitians) don't put a lot of stock in albumin, but most doctors do. Anyway Dr. Smith asked if I had gained any weight and I said no, not really. He said I really should keep it in for awhile longer but I told him all my reasons why I didn't want to (basically I was whining). :) The tube feeding was giving me 700 calories at night and I told him I would drink TwoCal which is 500 calories (it's kind of like Ensure but more calories). He said if I did that every day then I could get it out. So I called the surgeon the next day and made an appointment. This was a Wednesday and he wasn't in his office and they said he didn't have any openings until Monday. I was so disappointed-I did not want to wait any longer! But then they called me later and the receptionist said  she had talked to the Dr and he said he would see me the next day. So I went the next day and he just pulled it out! It hurt! But I felt so much better after that. It was easier to go about my day, and go out places. He gave me a high five when I told him what my albumin was. I bought some TwoCal at Norco (expensive stuff!) and have been trying to drink it. I have to admit that I haven't been doing it every day, but after getting a lecture from the girls at work, I have decided to try again. Plus, I have now gained 5 pounds. :)
Speaking of work, I went back about 4 weeks ago. The first week I just worked 3-4 hours per day, 3 days. I have slowly been increasing my hours. This week I worked 4 days, 6 hours each day. I don't think I will go tomorrow. I have been getting back a lot more energy, my problem is I have a hard time getting up in the morning so I've had a hard time getting there much before 10 am. But my boss (and HR) have been so understanding. My boss did not even put me on the schedule for June and told me to work when I want for how long I want. For July he put me on the schedule for 4 or 5 days that he really needs me, and the rest I can still do what I want. NICE! But I hope to be able to be working close to full time because we could really use the money.
I have been eating really good and feel really good. My stomach does not hurt anymore. I was getting worried because I was still having problems after I ate for awhile, but then it seemed like one day I just starting feeling tons better. I haven't taken pain medicine in about 3 weeks. I have still been using a pain patch, but I used the last one a few days ago so I won't be using those anymore either and I still feel great. It is so nice. Also I have been going off of the prednisone and just have one week left!! I will be pretty happy when I don't have a chipmunk face anymore.
The bummer thing is now that I have energy and strength again I want to do all my crafts again but don't have time. Before when I was home all the time I wanted to sew my quilt so bad, but never had the energy. But I have been able to work on it after work. I am determined to finish it before we move!
As for my arm, it is slowly getting better. I don't notice it as much anymore. My thumb and pointer finger are still "numb" and it is still weak, but I can do far more than I used to. I saw a neurologist, who called what I have "brachioplexitis" or something like that. He basically said "it happens" and that there's nothing to do for it. He said about 80% of the people this happens to return to normal 80% or more of the time. Ok, that's good odds, I guess. He said it could take 6 months to 2 years to be back to normal. Yay. I just have to remember to use it as much as possible to help it get it's strength back. And I'm just hoping that my fingers won't feel tingly forever. 
Anyway, here are a few pics of what I have been able to do recently:

This is after the last surgery when I was still intubated-I just wanted to add these pics to show how many machines I was hooked up to and how many IV poles I had. It was ridiculous! 
 I did make it to the chair a few times in the ICU, which was a chore but worth it. If you look close you can see that I had a central line in my neck-that's where all the IVs were going. Not comfortable.
 Ok now on the fun things I have been doing...I got new flip flops!
 ...and new shoes.
 Even though I really didn't need them!
 I made this cute bag!
 And this cute card for my niece Taylee.
 I took a walk one day with some of Chris' cousins and their kids and we walked around by the temple. Chris and I have been able to go to the temple 3 times recently, almost back to our old routine when we were going 3-4 times a month. I love it!
 Last night I decided to paint my nails, I think I did a pretty good job!

So that is what we have been up to. We have a busy summer planned with almost every weekend booked and I am so excited! Definitely much better than hanging out at the hospital. Everywhere I go at work people (like nurses, social workers, physical therapists, occupational therapists, CNA's, pharmacists, etc) are telling me how nice it is to see me back, ask how I am doing (even people I don't remember, like transport people) and saying how good I look. Yesterday I saw the surgeon and he was so excited to see me. He asked for a hug and then told all the nurses standing around "Look at this!" They said, "we know, we see her every day." He said, "well I don't, but I guess that's a good thing!" He is so nice. Well stay tuned for some fun things we have coming up, such as weddings, camping trips, family reunions, and more!

1 comment:

Dani said...

Yea Jill! So glad to hear you are doing better! And Yea for gaining 5 pounds!! You should try Jamba Juice's Peanut Butter Moo'd - it's got lots of calories and it's super yummy!