Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Home Sweet Home!

Well just thought I'd post a quick update that we did indeed make it home yesterday (Monday). We were so excited! On Sunday the doctors had actually said they were thinking more like Tuesday or Wednesday because they were still worried about a little infection in my incision and just wanted everything healed well before they sent me home. We were pretty disappointed but then Monday they started talking about going home that day again and decided I was ready. They drilled into me the signs of worsening infection and set up an appointment for me to see Dr. Smith to look at it on Thursday. They set me up with Home Health (they are coming tomorrow) to help with wound care, the ileostomy, and physical therapy for my arm. We filled a bunch if prescriptions at the pharmacy there (which cost a lot of money!), including a blood thinner that is a shot I give myself every day :(. As soon as everything was in order we were on our way. My mom had driven Chris' car to SL so she rode back to Twin with us. We got home about 6:30. She helped us put away our loads of stuff we had and ate dinner with us and then went home. Chris' mom and little sister brought us a yummy dinner (awesome job Courtney)! The ward is going to start bringing meals tomorrow every other day for 3 or 4 meals I think, which will be really nice and helpful.

Anyway, we are so happy to be home. Today I slept a lot and didn't do a lot, but it's nice to be able to get up and walk a little more (without a walker)! This afternoon Chris had a doctor appointment for a sore throat that he's had for a few days but they said it's just a sore throat. I feel bad he doesn't feel great and has to take care of me. :( He also has a cyst that has been developing on his wrist for the last month or so that he had them look at and so they are going to remove it next week. Anyway, after his appointment he came home and got me and took me to the eye doctor. I called this morning and got an appointment. When I had the sigmoidoscopy the day I was flown to SL, they took my contacts out and I never got them back. When Chris packed a few things for us originally he forgot my glasses so I could not see at all for a few days. Chris' dad and stepmom brought my glasses for me but couldn't find my extra pair of contacts I thought I had. I had an appointment to get new contacts before April (before my insurance started over) but I missed it by being in the hospital. My glasses are like 4 years old so the whole time I couldn't see very well and was very annoyed. Anyway, we got it all taken care of today! I got new cute glasses that will be here tomorrow and they gave me a new pair of contacts to try and if they work then we will order them next week. Kind of sad we couldn't have gotten the contacts in March and glasses in April so insurance would go toward them both, but I think we will just order a box of contacts for cheap from Costco to get me by until I start working again and we have some money. :) Anyway, I guess my whole point of this is that I'm so excited to be able to be wearing contacts again and that I can see! And so excited for my glasses!

We also ordered me another phone that should be here tomorrow so I should be back in commission then. We were told today by the hospital that they are checking into replacing my phone and iPod but to give them a few days. That would be really nice to get reimbursed for those.

Last night it was so nice to be able to sleep (next to each other) in our own bed. We are so thankful to be home and for the help, love, prayers, etc that we have received the last month. I will continue to update and hopefully add more details about the hospital stay and everything that happened, with lots of pictures! Until then here is a pic taken a few days before I left when I was finally able to take a shower and wear my own clothes again!

3 comments:

Dani said...

so glad you made it home! and how annoying about your contacts! what is your prescription? i wish i could've helped you out w/ that. I would be in trouble if that happened to me...my glasses are 10+ years old, so the prescription is soooo off - I only wear them at night when reading in bed. i hope recovery goes well and that you are back to 100% soon!

Halfords said...

You look so cute in the hospital! How does that work? :) I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

SAYDA said...

Aw... Jill you are so strong! I hope you recover soon. You will be in my prayers. Love you.