Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I think my insides hate me!

Well, last week was another fun one. Ok, not really. I couldn't sleep all night last Tuesday, and in the middle of the night my stomach started hurting. It wasn't too bad, and I thought I might have a little obstruction, but when I got up to get ready for work, I was feeling better. When I got to work I ate a smoothie that Chris made me, and some scrambled eggs. But quickly realized that was a big mistake. I was feeling VERY nauseated. I decided to just start with my 3 patients that absolutely had to be seen that day, and go from there. After seeing some of them, I actually got so sick that I threw up at work. I quickly typed my notes and said I needed to go home. I knew by this time that I needed to go the hospital. I think I got home about 12:30. Chris was home and I immediately started crying when I saw him. We quickly got ready and went to the hospital. The emergency room was packed. I was so annoyed. Looking around there were not very many people who actually looked sick. Most people were smiling and talking, getting up to get coffee, etc. And then there was me, crying constantly for 2 hours. I really wanted to just tell them all to go the urgent care down the street. There was one girl who got called to triage not long after we got there. She got up smiling and came out with an IV. The nurse came out a while later and I heard her say she was giving her something for nausea. I was so jealous. It took over 2 hours for them just to triage me. While we were waiting a guy came up to us and asked if he could "pray over me." We said yes, and he said a prayer asking that I would get to be seen soon and would get some relief. It was a little different than we are used to, but very nice. When they finally called my name, a lady who had been there longer than us told me that she was praying for me. Once I got in to see the nurse, he asked me how I would rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10 (my favorite question, haha). I said 10, and he said that I was the first person who said 10 that day that he actually believed. Once triaged, we only had to wait about 5 more minutes before they took me back. 

They had a hard time starting an IV (as always), but once I finally got something for pain and nausea things were looking better. It at least made it bearable. They did x-rays and said that I did have an obstruction. They put in an NG tube like they always do. The purpose of the NG tube is to suck out air (and other stuff) and manipulate the bowel so it can move and, I guess, get away from the scar tissue that is restricting it. It took 5 tries to get the NG tube in. They nurses just kept pushing even when it wasn't going anywhere. It was painful, and on the 2nd try they gave me a really bad bloody nose. Finally a male nurse tried and he got it in right away. While in the ER, my GI surgeon came in and said that she was on call and was admitting me, and then said that we might need to do surgery this time because this keeps happening. She said she would put me on the schedule for the next day, but we could talk more about it in the morning. She left so quickly we couldn't even ask her any questions. I was admitted to a private room (finally!), and was given a pain pump. Chris loves it when I am on drugs. I was saying some pretty crazy things one night. It is so strange because I know I'm saying things that don't make sense, but I can't stop myself from saying them. I also would have dreams and not be able to differentiate them from real life. I would ask Chris about things that never happened, and sometimes I would dream that Chris was across the room, but then wake up and find him right next to me, which would just confuse me more, haha. The first couple times I tried to go for a walk I was so tired I didn't make it very far at all. Chris kept saying, "eyes open Jill!" Haha! I had a lot of output from the NG tube, and I didn't feel my pain was as well controlled as previous stays. One night I finally got the on call doctor to change my pain pump to a different pain medication that usually works better for me, and it helped some. I was only allowed to have ice chips at first, but my mouth was SOOO dry I convinced my doctor to let me have popsicles too. 


My doctor came Thursday morning and we expressed our concerns of having surgery that day. Chris is really busy with school and has 3 big projects due in the next couple of weeks. If we waited a couple weeks, he would be done with school for the semester and be able to stay home all day with me. Chris talked to my boss who said that it would be easier if they had a week or two to plan to cover for me while I was gone. We could also get my mom more affordable plane tickets if we had more notice. So she agreed that we could wait until the first week of December. She did say that if I didn't get better, we may still have to do it during this hospital stay, and mentioned that Dr. Juviler would be on call. He was the doctor on call the first time I was admitted here in Spokane and I was not impressed with him. The thought of him doing surgery on me was not a pretty one, so I told her I like her better. She just laughed. The next morning I was told that she called in sick, and that Dr. Juviler was on call. Grr. He didn't come see me until 8:30 that NIGHT! It was so frustrating. I felt like a whole day was wasted. When he finally came he said we could pull the NG tube and try clear liquids. Frankly, I wasn't too fond of eating anything yet, and the kitchen was closed by that time, so I just sipped some cranberry juice, which did wonders for my dry mouth! Friday afternoon my friend Garnet from work and her adorable daughter brought me the cutest card (handmade)! and a Duck Dynasty blanket and t-shirt. I will admit, I am a huge fan. I just think that show is hilarious. The blanket was soft and pink and perfect. I texted my really good friend from our ward to see if her husband was at the hospital and could come give me a blessing (he is a medical resident). Turns out they were both there signing up for their insurance, and so they came and saw me and brought me some very pretty flowers. He gave me a very nice blessing (Chris thought letting someone else do it for a change might be a good idea, haha). I felt much better and more calm and comforted afterwards. I am so thankful for the priesthood in my life. I cannot BEGIN to count the number of priesthood blessings I have received the last few years.


I was sooo happy to have the tube out. By Saturday night I was eating "regular" food again. I was sticking to things like mashed potatoes and macaroni, but it was better than broth! I was getting my appetite back and started to crave other things. They also took away my best friend (the pain pump) and started giving me pain pills instead. I was able to roam free without an IV in the picture below this. :) Sunday morning we were told we could go home. I was still having pain but just wanted to be in my own bed. Previously, once the obstruction has resolved, I have felt basically back to normal right away. That has definitely not been the case this time. Monday I basically stayed in bed most of the day. Chris tried to practice his presentation on me before he went to class and I think I only heard about 3 minutes of it because I fell asleep. I didn't want to go back to work, but I feel so guilty whenever I am gone and people have to cover for me. Plus, I am running out of paid time off hours and sick time that I was saving for our trip home at Christmas, and didn't want to use any more, especially now that I will be having surgery. I made it back to work on Tuesday, and today was better than yesterday, so hopefully tomorrow will be better than today. I heard today that my surgery will be December 5 for sure. I just have to make it 2 more weeks. :)








Also, can I just say (again) that I am so thankful for my husband. I don't think anyone could take care of me as well as he does. :)

No comments: