Saturday, January 14, 2012

Up on the Housetop

A week before Christmas my sister called me up and asked me if I would be interested in playing a duet on the piano with my 10 year old nephew Kade at his piano recital. She said he was really nervous and didn't want to do it with his teacher because, he said, "she messed him up." She gave him the idea to ask me and he got really excited. My sister said that the teacher likes the students to do it with other people anyway.
We were already planning on going to dinner at their house and then to the recital that night, so I told her I would try, but I wasn't making any promises. I was pretty nervous because I was never any good at duets, plus I always found reading the music for the teacher's part confusing. The song was Up on the Housetop. First I played with it by myself for a few minutes, and I was actually able to figure it out. When I thought I got the hang of it I tried it with Kade and he told me I was too slow and that he would rather do it with his teacher. :( I was actually fine with that and felt if I did it we'd mess up and embarrass ourselves anyway. So we ate dinner, but then after dinner I decided to try it out again. I practiced it faster for a few minutes and then asked Kade if he wanted to try again. We actually sounded pretty good and after a few tries we got to where we could actually end at the same time and it was pretty fun. Kade changed his mind and wanted to do it with me. :) Here is the end result...we get a little off in the middle, but it's not bad for throwing it together right before the recital! Thanks Kade for letting me do that with you. I had fun!
p.s. please don't judge my bad posture. :)



1 comment:

GrandmaBev said...

That's nice you could do it with him.