Friday, February 5, 2016

New Adventure!

At the end of August I was invited to a party on Facebook for Usborne Books and More. I had heard of this company but hadn't ever seen any of the books up close. (Usborne has actually been around for many years, and was the 2014 Children's Publisher of the year). I was skeptical because I didn't know what could be so special about books. I also didn't see why I would like them because they sell children's books and I don't have any kids. But I was interested enough that I went. I was so impressed with the books! I thought they were genius, really. Brilliant. So fun and so unique, I could go on and on. Around this time my Etsy shop had kind of started to fizzle out. And I was getting worn out. It just took so much time and energy. And I always had a mess in my living room. I started asking questions about signing up to sell these books, which surprised myself and my husband, because I have never been a "salesman." I didn't want to become the pushy friend who everyone avoided because they thought you were going to try to sell them something. (And I hope I haven't become that). But I seriously felt like these books were an answer to my prayers. These were books that could really help a struggling reader learn (and want to learn) how to read. These were books that a child would choose over electronics, and I wanted that for my (future) kids. I talked to Chris and we thought it would be a good thing. I didn't really think I would make money at it, and I don't think Chris did either, but I really wanted something for me. That I could do and feel good about it. And I felt this was it.

It has been exciting and fun for sure. Turns out, the books sell themselves and people love to buy books for their kids. :)

I have loved that I can do it when I want, and how much I want. No stress of any minimum to meet. I can work when I'm sick, laying in bed. I even did my first party an hour after I got home from he hospital. Feeding tube and all. And I have earned a TON of free books, and a lot of half price books too. I also earned a FREE cruise for Chris and I! We will be sailing to Belize, Cozumel, and Roatan in July. :) SO excited. 

I have found some other benefits along the way. I have made some great friends. In November I promoted to Team Leader, and in January I got to go to Atlanta to a training for team leaders. I hung out with other leaders on my team and we had tons of fun. 

We have also really liked the extra income. We are going to use the money I make to save for our adoption (another reason why I feel like this was an answer to our prayers) and with Usborne we will get there much faster than we would have otherwise. 

There are also lots of different things I can try. I have been mostly doing Facebook parties, but I can also do Home parties, book fairs (I have done one so far), book drives, etc. This month I am working on a book drive-I want to raise money to get books for Foster Kids. Books that they can call their own. Many foster kids struggle with school and reading and I want to give them something they can call their own, that will give a desire and ability to learn. I'm so excited for this, especially because there is a good chance that Chris and I will become foster parents in the future.

Here are some pics of some books I have earned for free and half price. :) 











Chris built me this bookshelf out of pallets and I painted it. 

It's already full!  The girls I babysit LOVE the books-and I can see a difference in one of the girls. Her reading skills have been improving.



At the Advanced Leadership Retreat in Atlanta, one of my favorite things was meeting our CEO, Randall White. What an amazing guy!

One night, he chose to eat dinner with us! 
 Last weekend, we had a Regional Training in SL and some of my girls on my team went. (Including my beautiful cousin Danielle! So fun doing this with her!)

All the Team Leaders on our team at the Regional Training

Most of all I just love having something that I can do during the day to help me feel accomplished. I love getting these wonderful books into the hands of kids!

No comments: