Sunday, October 4, 2015

CALIFORNIA!!

For several months I have been begging Chris to take me to Disneyland. Well pretty much since we got married, lol. I love it. I found a good deal on tickets and hotels through a blog that I read called Freebies2Deals. She puts together a discounted Disney trip every year. We hadn't been on a trip together since our Honeymoon to the Bahamas and our 4 year Anniversary is next week. So around the end of June or beginning of July we booked the trip. I have been counting down the days! It was almost spoiled by tube feeding and an ER visit just a few days before we left, but luckily I was feeling better and had a PICC line and TPN by the time we left. We left on Tuesday the 21 and got to our hotel late that night. We went to Disneyland/California Adventure Wednesday and Thursday and Universal Studios Friday, then flew home Saturday.

Here we are on the plane-so excited!


First thing when we got there, we went and got a Disability Access Pass. It basically was like another Fast Pass. There were a few places in the park where we could go and get a return time for a ride, so we didn't have to stand in line. My biggest fear was standing in line for an hour and getting to the front and not being able to get on because my bag was full and might burst open. Also with my rheumatoid arthritis and just being in the hospital, I didn't have enough energy to stand for very long. It worked out great and only waited in one regular line, that was only 10 minutes long. We didn't get to rides tons and tons of rides, but all the main ones that I wanted to. We even rode a couple rides that I had never been on in the other 3 times I'd been there. :) 

One of the things I really wanted to do was get a picture with Minnie, and get a picture with some princesses. I never had before, but that was the great thing about going with Chris. He let us do whatever I wanted. :) We only waited for about a half hour for Minnie and a half hour for the 3 Princesses. I was excited.






My Uncle Parley and Aunt Marilynn had a trip planned there with all their kids and grandkids too for a long time, unbeknownst to us until a few days before we left. It was fun running into them a few time. This is my cousin Katie and I. :)


Indiana Jones is probably my favorite ride after Space Mountain. When we rode I was super disappointed that the big ball didn't come out and we didn't get to drop down below it suddenly at the end of the ride. I asked the cast member if they took that part out of the ride, and he said that sometime when it gets backed up, they skip that part so they don't get cars running into each other. So we started to walk away, and he called back to us. When I turned around he asked if we wanted to go on it again, so of course I said yes and he let us right back on! And the ball came out that time. I loved it.

The first day we were at Disneyland I really felt like I was getting a UTI. I actually started feeling so I filled a standing antibiotic that I have and brought it with us. But it wasn't helping. We went back to our hotel around 7 pm to rest before the parade that night, but I was in so much pain we ended up taking a taxi to the closest Urgent Care. I felt so ridiculous, like kind of silly that this was happening. When did I become the girl that is always sick?! I was so upset over the inconvenience and extra cost of it all, but in the end I got a different antibiotic and we were able to continue our trip. At some point that first day I just accepted the fact that we would have to take it slow and not rush from ride to ride like I would have liked. Everything turned out fine.



The next day we decided to rent a wheelchair so I could save my energy, and because I was having a lot of pain from the UTI. It saved us. I would not have been able to walk everywhere we went. Made me feel like a big wimp, but whatever. Like I said, I accepted it. When we went to get a return time for a ride at Disneyland the lady recognized us from the day before. She said, "Oh no, don't tell me you wore yourself out yesterday and did too much!" I told her that I just wasn't feeling well and we had to go to urgent care the night before. She told us to hold on for a minute while she scanned something on our tickets. She told us she gave us something called a Re-Add. It was basically like a Fastpass but we didn't have to go get a return time first. It was awesome. She gave it to us for 2 rides at Disneyland and 2 at California Adventure. We went to the hotel around lunch to take a nap so I could last until the parade that night, and then went back to California Adventure, so we didn't even use the ones at Disneyland, but oh well. It was really nice of her. 

Snagged another pic with Minnie! I loved that it was Halloween time there!

Waiting for the parade in my wheelchair and new sweatshirt. :)


At California Adventure we only rode 4 rides. I felt pretty crummy. I took pain medicine because I was so miserable and that made me tired and nauseated. I could only eat a couple french fries and half a chicken strip at lunch, but I was very determined to still ride the big roller coaster and the Tower of Terror, so I did. And I survived. :) We also rode Soarin' Over California and the Little Mermaid ride, which I had never been on. I think it's right up there with Peter Pan. LOVED it.



Around dinner time I FINALLY started to feel better. I ate a half a grilled cheese sandwich and half a bowl of tomato soup. We went and bought all our souvenirs and then went and found a spot to watch the parade. It was only about 7 pm but we were both pretty tired and were totally fine just sitting and waiting.

The parade was amazing, of course. The things they can do are so cool. I thought the wait was worth it! We stayed in the same place and watched the Fireworks right after. I was so glad we got to see both, since we didn't get to do either the night before.











The next day was Universal Studios. I think Chris enjoyed this a lot more than Disneyland. I don't think he was too impressed with Disneyland, lol. But he was a good sport. We also got a disability pass at Universal Studios and didn't have to wait in any lines. We did every ride except for we didn't see 2 of the shows offered. It was not crowded AT ALL, which was really nice. I was feeling much better as far as pain and nausea, just kind of tired. But we were still able to get everything in, even with having to leave at 6 pm because they closed for their Halloween Party. I went without the wheelchair too.




We were also able to get some fun pictures with characters. I was beyond excited when I saw Lucille Ball. I had never seen her there before. Anyone who knows me knows I am a huge fan of I Love Lucy. My first car was named Lucy because it was red, lol. I would love to name a daughter Lucy, except I don't think I like the sound of Lucy Leiser. :)

Well I got way off subject, but anyway, it was lots of fun. Chris particularly enjoyed the Water World show. I've seen it twice before and didn't even know it was a movie. I just thought it was something to show all their tricks and special effects. So when we got home Chris rented the movie on Amazon Prime and made me watch it. It wasn't too bad.

Favorite ride!

It was nice to get back to our hotel a little earlier than normal and pack our stuff. We had to get up at 3 the next morning because for some unknown reason our shuttle was picking us up at 4 am. Our flight wasn't until 6:55. They weren't even open to check our bags until 5, so we sat and waited for like 45 minutes. I slept the entire day. While we waiting to check our bags, on both planes, the WHOLE 2 1/2 hour drive home, and when we got home I literally walked in and went straight upstairs to our bed and slept for another 2 hours. I was exhausted to say the least, but it was worth it. 





No comments: