Sunday, August 4, 2013

This is Who I Am

Today we had a really good lesson in Relief Society about missionary work. As we talked about sharing the gospel, it reminded me of all the reasons why I love my church. My church is in my life on a daily basis, and is why I am who I am. I just wanted to share some of the things I love about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints:

The Priesthood: The earth was created using the priesthood, and Jesus Christ administered to the sick and afflicted and performed miracles using the priesthood. I listened to a talk this morning from the Saturday morning session of the April General Conference, by Elder Ballard: "In our Heavenly Father’s great priesthood-endowed plan, men have the unique responsibility to administer the priesthood, but they are not the priesthood. Men and women have different but equally valued roles. Just as a woman cannot conceive a child without a man, so a man cannot fully exercise the power of the priesthood to establish an eternal family without a woman. In other words, in the eternal perspective, both the procreative power and the priesthood power are shared by husband and wife. And as husband and wife, a man and a woman should strive to follow our Heavenly Father. The Christian virtues of love, humility, and patience should be their focus as they seek the blessings of the priesthood in their lives and for their family." 

I have been the recipient of many priesthood blessings-father's blessings, blessings of comfort, blessings when I am sick, blessings to help me make decisions, and my Patriarchal blessing, which I received on my 16th birthday from the very special President Young, who also sealed Chris and I. My Uncle Parley once gave me a very special blessing where he said that the the Lord wanted me to know that I would meet my eternal companion within the next year. That was during the summer, and Chris and I met the next February. :) 

The priesthood blesses my life everyday, not just when I receive a blessing.

Prophets and apostles: There were prophets in the days of the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and now The Lord has allowed us to have modern day Prophets. Jesus Chris had apostles that worked with Him. I asked my brother Chad once what he thought the biggest difference between our church and other Christians was, and he said that its that we have a living prophet. I had been asked this question by another dietitian during my internship, and hadn't really known what to say. Our prophet, Thomas S. Monson leads and guides our church and he, along with his counselors and other leaders in the church, teaches us what the Lord wants us to learn.

General Conference: This goes along with the above. Every six months we get to stay home and listen to our leaders speak to us about...anything, really. I always feel like they are speaking right to me. This is amazing guidance that we can re-read and re-watch later. I like to listen to Conference talks from my iPad when I get ready in the morning. It helps me to remember to make good choices throughout the day, and try to implement simple changes in my every day life, such as studying the scriptures, missionary work, serving others, etc. They also help me find comfort when I am having a hard time from something. Many apostles teach us how to endure our trials and learn from them. We know that if we endure these trials well, we will be blessed and have eternal life.

Organization: this is something that I REALLY love. The church is organized in its leadership, its stakes, wards, and branches, in its teaching material, in its finances, in everything it does. I love that when I move to a new place, I have an instant pool of new friends and ward "family" members. I can pick up right at the same sunday school lesson that I left off on, and it will be the same lesson that my mom is having in Burley, Id, that my brother is having in Riverton, Wyoming, and that my missionary cousin is having in the Phillipines. Everywhere you go, it is the same, and I never have to worry about finding a new church that I like, because the church that I love is everywhere. The church is always the first to reach out when natural disasters happen, because of its organization. A temple or church building isn't built before it is paid for, and the church does not have any debt.

Relief Society: If you don't know what Relief Society is, it is the organization of the women in the church. Every Sunday we have an hour where we meet together as women, and during this time we teach and learn from one another. There is a wonderful spirit there that I truly miss if I'm not there. The Relief Society theme is "Charity Never Faileth." I have been the recipient of many Relief Society dinners and acts of service. RS also gives me the opportunity to serve others. Heavenly Father answers our prayers through other people, and so if we serve others, we will be blessed.  Today in Sunday School, our teacher shared the quote from Joseph Smith when he said, "The church was never perfectly organized until the women were thus organized." He also taught that Relief Society was organized, "under the priesthood, after the manner of the priesthood." Lets face it, the men need Relief Society just like women need the priesthood, and I know that need Relief Society. It is so wonderful to be a part of the world's largest organization of women. 

The Book Of Mormon: The eighth article of Faith says: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book Of Mormon to be the word of God." The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. It is a record of the people on this continent. This fascinates me. We know that Christ visited the people here after he was resurrected because of the Book of Mormon. There is speculation about where certain events of the Book of Mormon took place, which I have been reading a little about lately. We know that the prophet Moroni buried the gold plates (with the Scriptures written on them) where present day upstate New York is, because Moroni, who came to Joseph Smith as an angel, told Joseph where to find them. Little fact: Moroni is the son of the prophet Mormon, who compiled the plates together, hence the name "The Book of Mormon." That is where the name "Mormons," comes from. And the Angel Moroni is on top of every temple. :) Which brings me to my next point-

Temples: Temples go way back to ancient Bible times. This is where we can perform the Lord's work. Every time I go inside the temple, I feel comfort, love, and peace. I leave knowing that everything will be all right, and remember that my Heavenly Father does know me and truly loves me. Inside the temple we learn more about the Gospel, make covenants with our Heavenly Father, and do temple work for those that have passed away. And of course we are sealed together with our spouses and families. Phrases like "till death do you part," and, "as long as you both shall live," are not used inside the temple, because when we are sealed, it means that we will be together forever, throughout all eternity. 

Programs: Primary, Young Men, Young Women, Seminary, Institute, and Family Home Evening, to name a few. Most of these things are age specific, so we are taught things that pertain to us NOW. All of these things have helped me to be a better person, and gain a testimony of Jesus Christ. From a very young age I learned to speak in front of groups of people because in this church, we teach each other. Our Sacrament Meeting (part of church where the whole congregation meets together) is filled with members of the ward and stake sharing their testimonies and teaching from the scriptures and words of the prophets. So our Bishop is not the only person we hear from. I also loved having the opportunity to leave the pressures of every day life for an hour and a half 2-3 times per week and attend Seminary (in high school) and Institute (in college). I met wonderful people there and had a spiritual place to go whenever I needed to "get away." (Plus, the Institute Building was where I knew I could find my brother Brock 75% of the time I needed him, and then I could get him to help me with my chemistry homework). :) 

The Sacrament: I have really grown to love taking the Sacrament lately. Jesus Chris blessed and broke bread and wine during the Last Supper with His apostles. We bless bread and water and partake of it during the Sacrament every Sunday. When we are baptized, our sins are washed away from us. This is why we are baptized at the age of 8, because we are old enough to choose right from wrong, and repent when we sin. Babies have not sinned, therefore they are not ready to be baptized. Jesus Christ was perfect, but he was baptized to be an example to us. When we take the Sacrament, we are washed clean of our sins that we have repented of, just like when we are baptized. Taking the Sacrament is like being baptized every week!

I could keep going, but this is getting pretty long. I wish I could share my love for this Gospel with everyone, everywhere, so I guess this is a start. ;) I have a testimony that this church is TRUE, that Joseph Smith restored it to the Earth, and that he was a true prophet. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer and that through the Atonement, I can live with Him again if I follow God's commandments. I know that families can be together forever through the Plan of Salvation. I know that my Heavenly Father knows each of His children personally, and that He answers our prayers. Through this Gospel we can have eternal life!



No comments: